Feb 19, 2013

Three tricks to a productive work day!

"How do you do it all?!" is something I hear frequently. And I'm over here thinking, "How do I do what?"

I'm not Wonderwoman. To me, it doesn't even seem like I do all that much {guess that's a perk to doing what you love for a living}. But after some thought, I realized I had a pretty sweet routine down that helps me walk with pep in my step and a smile on my face while I tackle sew-a-thons in my studio, and I wanted to share how I attack each day with enthusiasm to help other work from home creatives who may not wake up feeling pumped for the day!


Trick 1: Skip  your morning coffee, tea, all caffeine. I'm not saying ditch it entirely, but instead of heading straight to the coffee pot first thing every morning, drink a tall glass of water before your first cup of joe. Starting your day out hydrated is energizing, and helps prevent mid-day headaches! For each cup of caffeine you drink, throw in a cup of good ole H2O. Not only is it good for your complexion, but I find staying well hydrated is an incredible mood booster for me!

Picture from a morning walk with the dogs.

Trick 2: Exercise. And believe me, I don't like exercising. At all. But it really does help you start the day with more energy and pep in your step!  Go for a short morning walk, do some stretches, hula hoop for a few minutes, do some yoga - wake your body up! I do some simple stretches every morning, and take my dogs on a twenty minute walk before I hit the studio {even when it's icy, even when it's raining, even when it's 100+ degrees outside}. There's no excuse to not make such a simple change to your morning routine that has such positive results! 
{I also throw in some stretches through the day, when I go from sitting to standing I do a few toe touches and side bend thingies - keeps me from getting achy muscles and keeps the energy pumping!}


Trick 3: Eat breakfast. I'm not a morning food person. I actually can't stand the thought of eating before 11am. But! On the days I eat breakfast, even if it's just toast or some apple slices, I feel amazing. My body is happy, my brain is happy, and eating before I hit the studio helps me stay focused, makes me less irritable {I didn't even realize how grouchy I was without breakfast until I started eating it!} and it energizes me! More energy = more productivity!!

So, no, I don't actually have a coffee IV drip hooked up to me. I have just made a few changes to my morning routine that has a positive effect on my brain and body! 

What is your morning routine? Do you have any tricks to starting your day off with pep in your step? Share them in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. I am in love with your mug! I don't think I could be productive with such a beautiful mug because I'd be staring at it the whole time I'm supposed to be doing things ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrift store find for $0.25! :D I have a black one with a purple bird, too! ;)

      Delete
  2. I could use some organization tips. As I don't have one interest, instead there are many types of supplies. I'm sitting here at puter desk with my morning coffee and a really achy back. Your blog puts this old lady to shame, as I do exactly what you suggest we don't do. Every day, I am impressed with you and your work. For some reason my bookmarks quit working, so I do not read your blog everyday. Considering grabbing some kid off the street to fix it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to start a good habit! ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh yea, I do all those things. ;) Except, I drink coffee and not much water, I don't really exercise, other than chasing my munchkin and my breakfast is usually junk food. :D Good simple tips, and I so need to get better about my daily, especially morning routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of frequently eating Pop-tarts for breakfast. ;) That's why so many Mon-stors get shipped out in Pop-tart boxes!

      Delete
  4. SO agree with the hydration points! I drink a ton of water and on days I drink more soda I feel a lot more 'blah.' Can't describe it any other way. Water is SOOO important to your body-your muscles, your skin and your brain will all thank you throughout the day!
    As for exercise...I have a gym membership! The card is really pretty! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think hydration is the biggest one for me! I've cut back on my coffee intake and replaced it with water and feel more energized! I never even had caffeine withdrawal headaches or anything.

      I also recently cut meat out of my diet again, and that is an incredible mood booster! I have so much more energy when I'm not eating meat products!!! I've had chicken three times since I cut meat out of my diet and those days I feel like a lazy blob. Definitely an incentive to keep it out of my diet and do the right thing for my body!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh...that's how you do it! I will evaluate my morning routine and stop this madness =P

    Jayne
    Handmade Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! It's not a magic fix all, by a long shot, but these three simple things really help me approach the day in a much more positive mode than if I remove them from my routine. ;)

      Delete
  6. My best mornings start with orange juice and french toast and/or fruits. Keeping it on hand is the main struggle for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading other crafters routines :) I am a water freak, I drink a big mason jar every hour or two, but I do have coffee 2-3 times a day mmmm... And yoga for sure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...